El viso del marqués
El viso del marqués online
towns of ciudad real
Main façade of the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption. It is the parish church of Viso del Marqués, of Gothic-Renaissance transition style, it was built in the 15th century. It is a one-nave building, off-center with respect to the presbytery, because it was built over the remains of an older one. On its walls hangs «El lagarto de Viso», a stuffed crocodile about 5 meters long from the Nile River, which was brought to the town by the Marquis of Santa Cruz, Álvaro de Bazán, in one of his expeditions. It housed a panel of the Flemish school representing the Calvary, which is currently in a niche in the parish church after being restored.
There are times when making a trip you get to surprising places whose tourist attraction you had no prior knowledge, and that is what happened to us during our recent route by car through the south of the province of Ciudad Real, in Castilla-La Mancha.
And if there is one place that we have to highlight above the others that is, without a doubt, the palace of Santa Cruz that you find in the small village of Viso del Marqu茅s聽s聽s聽s聽 located south of Valdepe帽as and Santa Cruz de Mudela.
In 1569 he was appointed the first Marquis of Santa Cruz by King Philip II and that is when he decided to build the palace in the place that at that time was an important crossroads, specifically in the middle of the Royal Road between Castile and Andalusia.
Throughout history the palace survived the attack of the English during the War of Spanish Succession in the early eighteenth century, although it suffered the consequences of the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755.
At present the palace of Viso del Marqu茅s still belongs to the family 脕lvaro de Baz谩n, who in 1950 gave it to the Ministry of the Navy to become one of the headquarters of the Naval Museum and house the Archives of the Navy.
province of ciudad real
After the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, in 1212, Viso was ceded to the Order of Calatrava and the town was named with that name in the Fuero de Villarreal of Alfonso X el Sabio in 1281. But in 1539, King Carlos I sold the Encomienda de Viso and Santa Cruz to Admiral Álvaro de Bazán («the Old»), father of the also sailor Álvaro de Bazán, first Marquis of Santa Cruz.
POPULATION. 482 neighbors, 2,440 souls. CAP. rMP. 4.4 4 2,500 reales CONTR. 56,887 reales 24 m. reales MUNICIPAL BUDGET 47,000 of which 2,530 are paid to the secretary and is covered by the product of the 2/3 of the pastures of the quintos called rincón Malulos and la Poveda that belong to the own, and neighborhood distribution.
It is the parish church of Viso del Marqués, Gothic-Renaissance transition style, was built in the fifteenth century. The building of a nave is off-center with respect to the presbytery, for being built on the remains of another older one. Above the choir of the church hangs «El lagarto del Viso», a stuffed crocodile about 5 meters long from the Nile River, which was brought to the town by the Marquis of Santa Cruz, Alvaro de Bazan, in one of his expeditions. It housed a panel from the Flemish school depicting the Calvary, which is currently in a niche in the parish church after being restored. The painting was also a part of the museum.